Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Antlers and a Note about St. Andrews





I broke down yesterday and took a percocet
and a muscle relaxer
because my back was spasming
like crazy. 
An hour later I snapped this
photo of myself. 
If you didn't know this about me, 
I am a hunter, 
hence
the antlers in my 
living room which are perfect
for drug-induced photo opportunities. 
Too bad the wapiti gods didn't 
smile on me and grant
me a tag this year. 

But enough of me. I have something special I want to share. 

Around this time last year, my 
friend Amy and I had an 
amazing chance to 
volunteer at the St. Andrews
Children's Clinic which
in located in Nogales, AZ. 
This clinic operates the 
first Thursday of every month
to provide healthcare services to children in
Northern Mexico. The patients come by bus
over the border to the church which is transformed
into a mini hospital for the day. 
This clinic also provides orthopedic and cleft palate
surgeries to patients who are flown 
to various hospitals for these 
procedures. 

Simply amazing. 

This clinic gives children a chance to 
rehabilitate and receive care that
is hard to come by in their 
home towns. 
The Arizona Student Nurse's Assoc. continues to 
be involved in this amazing clinic...
as a student nurse, it really opened my
eyes. I walked away very
humble and grateful for the things
I have been blessed with. 

Having stayed in Sonora as an 
exchange student when I was a grade-schooler, 
I can verify that access to healthcare
services is extremely slim. 
Many people argue that we should
not provide this free service to 
people who don't even live in our country. 
I say SCREW those people. 
By Christ's word, we are to love our neighbors, 
love one another. 
That love does not and should not only extend
to those in the continental US. 
We should have compassion for all of our fellow 
human beings. 
Compassion is hard to come by these days. 

Our group of nursing students to volunteered last summer


For more information about the clinic and 
what you can do to help, click here.

Consider what you can do to ease another person's suffering. 



While down in the very southern part of the state,
Amy and I decided to 
take advantage of a friend's offer
to trail ride though Benson. 


My view from the back of a cute little roan mare



Amy on her caballo


After the clinic, we decided to 
stop by one of the old Spanish Missions
founded by Father Kino. 
This one is called Tumacacori. 
It was so beautiful... have I mentioned
I love places with a past? 
I do. 
Go by and see it if you ever go south 
enough in Arizona where the
mileage signs start measuring by
kilometers :)



Now time to ice my back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye