Thursday, May 30, 2013

New Grad Musings

So here I am. 

I have been on my own for a month so far as a new nurse. 
If you are a new grad suffering from poor confidence and anxiety, I totally feel you. 
But things do start coming together, I promise! 
It starts becoming easier to get all those med passes done, patients assessed, 
charting completed, making those numerous phone calls, dealing with so many people... 

There are still a lot of times when I question things. Luckily I work with a good group
of nurses who let me bounce ideas and situations off them so I can get feedback. 
It's better to ask and look stupid over something
that might be simple rather than keep your mouth shut and have a bigger problem crop up.


 ('Why are you calling me about a blood pressure that has a systolic of 170?
This patient has hypertension') 

('Because for the last 3 days since they've been admitted the systolic has been trending 
around 140 and they are complaining of a headache')

*Audible sigh over the phone*
(Okay, give blah blah blah...)







From a legal perspective, it's better to speak up about something that worries you. 
Even if the physician doesn't do anything or gets irritated at you for calling, they at least 
are notified and you can 
document you had the conversation so your butt is covered too. 



I am superbly aware that some of the things I call or ask about
seem like they aren't a big deal to others... but hey, I've 
been a nurse for like, four months. 
My priority is that my patients are safe, and that includes safe from 
any potential errors/mis-judgement on my or any other staff's part. 



If you aren't sure when to call the doctor, ask another RN. Get some advice. 

In my case, it's been a saving grace for me and actually a couple of my patients. 





Today I got put on call, so I should use that time to study for my Tele program

final that's on Monday. Blah. I would rather just sleep :)








No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye