Thursday, June 12, 2014

Papa Francesco

Today was Vatican day! 
The whole group toured the museum with Dr. Sergio Rufini; I was overwhelmed by 
how huge it is! There were lots of paintings by many famous artists (da Vinci, Raphael, Caravaggio, etc.) and also lots of sculpture, ancient Egyptian statues and hieroglyphics, and a ton more. 
I can't even begin to describe everything that we saw in detail. The amount was overwhelming. I honestly don't think that the Vatican can be toured in even a whole day. There is simply so much to see. 
Of course, you don't go to the Vatican without seeing the Sistine Chapel. The biblical scenes painted on the ceiling were gorgeous in their detail and in the stories they depicted. Luckily, Dr. S's hubby brought
 a pair of binoculars that he let me look through so I could see the ceiling 
a lot better. It was truly incredible. 

Afterwards we grabbed lunch, and then some of us headed to St. Peters to try and get tickets for a viewing of the Pope, Papa Francesco. No luck on tickets, but we did go inside the basilica and walked around the church and the crypt beneath. There are a lot of works in St. Peters done by well known artists, however I won't go into that here. It was simply breathtaking at how big, ornate, and beautiful this church was. I was in awe. 






No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye