Sunday, June 15, 2014

Long day on a southbound train...

Today we headed back to Roma after our weekend full of sun and sea. I was a little bummed to have to return to the city. Don't get me wrong... it's amazing I'm even in Rome in the first place. But I live in a small town, and I'll always feel more at home in smaller places. Our day was rather uneventful. A lady at the train station started yelling at us, asking for money. I am a fan of avoiding confrontation so we just walked away from her to a different platform. The ride home was long and boring... keep in mind that even in Italy, the train doesn't go through the most attractive part of the towns. When we returned to Rome, we jumped on a bus to take us back to Trastevere. On the way, a guy on the bus was calling us all sorts of terrible things and belittling us for being Americans. In some instances I can totally understand why locals don't generally warm up to us... I don't want to go into stereotypes because there are Americans out there who will jump feet first into another culture. We ended up getting off the bus early in the pouring rain and catching the tram back to the apartment. Slogging through the water and up the stairs, I just felt relieved to be back in my apartment. After all that unpleasantness, I had a quick trip to a pizzeria to get some dinner and a stop by the market. I am now in bed and feeling content. Ready for another busy week!


PS- Italy has CACTUS! Glorious, prickly, green, blooming cactus!
(I'm a little obsessed... I do live Arizona!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye