Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Crypt-ic day

Today was a lecture day; we had a guest speaker from the FAO (recall this from a previous post?) who spoke with us about the FAO's initiatives to solve world hunger issues and improve food distribution. Basically it boils down to giving everyone equal opportunity to an education because to be able to read and write gives a person a certain amount of power and skills to improve their situation. Which I can agree with. One classmate got irritated that our guest speaker didn't have much to say regarding genetically modified organisms... I think she missed the point that the FAO isn't a regulatory body that makes the rules on seed production, food safety regulations, etc. Nevertheless I thought it was a cool presentation. Our instructor gave her lecture on the Mediterranean Diet which I actually enjoyed too. Nursing doesn't have a lot of roots in dietetics, however we do so much teaching about diet with patients without really understanding how food can heal (or not heal) the body. Dr. Shepard brought up a lot of interesting points about diet and it's relation to disease that I'll definitely make a point of implementing in my teaching when I return to work. 
After lecture we went to the Capuchin Crypt which is housed in the church Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. It's part museum/part tomb. The museum houses lots of religious art (even a painting by Caravaggio), relics, and then the crypt which is decorated with the bones of monks. For me, it was slightly creepy, but I found it also very unique and the patterns very beautiful. A little haunting also; those bones were in a body like mine at one point of time. A thought shot through my head about how fragile human life is, something I learned a long time ago when I started nursing and my dad died. 
Now I am at the apartment resting up for tomorrow... ciao ciao! 



No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye