Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day one post-preceptorship

Today was my very first day on my own a nurse... oy vey! I am very fortunate to work on a unit where the majority of the nurses know I am a new nurse and they try to be patient with me. 
The charge RN today gave me patients that were lower acuity so it could have been a much crazier day. 
I still had to find my preceptor a couple times (luckily she is working the same shifts as me this week :P) to ask a couple questions. 
There was an issue where a patient asked for pain medication, I wasn't told, and then the RN putting in a central line in that same patient was very... irate... while waiting for me to show up before they could start the procedure. 
Needless to say that RN came and found me, and after proverbially spewing a fountain of anger, I medicated the patient and explained I was doing an ECG on another patient and wasn't told the patient requested medication. 
That nurse was slightly nicer to me after that.

It wasn't a horrible day, but I don't feel comfortable yet so the whole day I was second guessing everything. 
Thinking back on it, there a few things I probably should have done but got busy so remembered them when I got home. 
Of course. 
I truly hate my brain sometimes.

The biggest thing I try to tell myself is to not get 'task-oriented' and to pay attention to changes in patient condition... then do something about it. I also have to tell myself multiple times a day to just relax/breathe/remember that the shift will be over, the day will end, and I won't feel like this forever. Can't wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye